Support for organisations
We help you navigate child safeguarding in your sector, country and context.
For almost two decades Keeping Children Safe has accompanied tens of thousands of organisations serving millions of children across the world to improve their child safeguarding measures.
We are completely independent and all our advice is guided by the International Child Safeguarding Standards and the rights and best interests of the child or children concerned.
Who we work with
We work with organisations of all types and sizes from governments, civil society, militaries, schools, sports organisations, the United Nations and the private sector.
Our team and experience
Our team of international child safeguarding practitioners have a combined total of more than 100 years experience of providing technical support, training, mentoring and quality assurance to organisations from all sectors.
We offer culturally-sensitive, context-specific support to meet the needs of organisations in every region of the world, in English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Bulgarian and Russian.
Keeping Children Safe’s international child safeguarding certification scheme provides external assurance of your organisation’s commitment to protecting children from harm. There are two levels of certification:
Level 1 Certification: Provides assurance that your organisation has an effective child safeguarding framework in place.
Level 2 Certification: Provides assurance that your organisation is implementing its child safeguarding measures.
- External verification by experts that child safeguarding measures are ‘fit for purpose’
- Award of the internationally recognised KCS kitemark, a visible symbol of quality performance in child safeguarding
- Demonstrating to donors, partners and the public, commitment and competence in the area of child safeguarding
- Support and standards that will increase the quality, effectiveness and accountability of other areas of the organisation.
Level 1 Certification
- To certify your organisation’s headquarters, the cost is GBP £15,000.
- Additional locations cost GBP £1,875 each.
Level 2 Certification
- To certify a single location, the cost is GBP £25,000.
- Additional locations cost GBP £3,000 each.
- Application and eligibility: KCS will assess whether your organisation is eligible and, if successful, an auditor will be assigned to support/guide you through the process. KCS will evaluate the scope of the work, send a proposal with costs, activities, and timescale and sign an agreement with you to progress the project.
- Self-assessment: you will be asked to complete an assessment document based on KCS’s ICS Standards.
- Evidence check: KCS will review your self-assessment and request supporting evidence, as well as interviews with relevant personnel.
- Level 1 Certification: will be awarded by KCS if the organisation meets the Standards. You will be sent a detailed report on your organisation’s strengths and any gaps, as well as recommendations on achieving Level 2 Certification if required. If your organisation does not yet meet the Standards for Level 1 Certification, KCS will draft an improvement plan to help prepare your organisation for re-submission.
- Application for Level 2 Certification: the application process is similar to applying for Level 1 Certification.
- Assessment of improvements made: KCS assesses what improvements have been made to the organisation’s safeguarding measures since Level 1 Certification was awarded. All recommendations made by KCS must be addressed before the Level 2 Certification process can continue.
- Audit visit: We conduct audit visit/s to your head office and sub-offices if needed, after which we produce a detailed report and recommendation to a Certification assessment panel.
- Certification panel assessment: This will determine whether your organisation’s headquarters and other locations assessed should be awarded full Level 2 Certification.
- Level 2 Certification: The recommendation is reviewed by our Independent Review Committee. If approved, Level 2 Certification is awarded.
- If the ICS Standards of Level 2 Certification are not met, KCS will work with you to develop an improvement plan based on the outcomes and recommendations of the audit.
The certificate is valid for three years.
We can provide comprehensive technical support to your organisation across all areas of child safeguarding including: assessing and mitigating child safeguarding risks, developing and implementing a robust child safeguarding policy framework and safer organisational culture, training staff and volunteers, working with partners on safeguarding, safer recruitment processes, engaging children and communities in child safeguarding and responding appropriately to child safeguarding concerns.
Training and mentoring
We offer tailor-made child safeguarding training and mentoring for all levels from beginners to experienced child safeguarding practitioners, from volunteers and new recruits to CEOs and trustees. Topics range from developing child safeguarding policies and procedures, risk management, the role of a safeguarding focal point and child participation in safeguarding, to managing child safeguarding allegations and investigating concerns.
We provide confidential and independent mentoring and supervision to practitioners, policymakers and leaders to help improve their safeguarding policies and practice, respond appropriately to concerns, work more effectively with donors, partners and other key stakeholders, and to develop safer and more accountable organisational cultures.
Training and mentoring can be delivered in person or online to suit you and your organisation’s needs.
Implementing child safeguarding measures has implications for all aspects of an organisation’s work. The larger and more complex an organisation, the more difficult it may be to integrate child safeguarding across all functions, especially if there are regional and country offices. As the only provider in the world of high-quality audit services based on the International Child Safeguarding Standards, we have extensive knowledge and experience in conducting audits in all types of organisations and have developed sector-specific audit procedures that are tailored to meet your organisation’s needs.
Investigations and safeguarding practice reviews
Safeguarding practice reviews
You may have already responded to a safeguarding concern, but want to be sure that your response met the highest possible standards. We can help by reviewing your handling of a case to assess if it was in line with current international best practices and had a victim/survivor-centred approach. We can also help your organisation build on the lessons learned from a safeguarding practice review and help strengthen safeguarding measures by addressing any gaps identified.
We have extensive experience in conducting high-quality, confidential international safeguarding investigations within a wide variety of different sectors and countries. This includes investigating complex and major allegations of abuse, as well as historic cases. All investigations are conducted in a child-focused way to ensure that children’s best interests and safety are paramount.
Whatever concern you have, no matter how complex, our team can help you. To talk in confidence with one of our team members about initiating an investigation or practice review, get in touch today.